Deadly Choices is a health promotion initiative of the Institute for Urban Indigenous Health (IUIH) in South East Queensland, and is funded by Queensland Health.
Quit for you and your family
Tobacco smoke contains more than 4,000 chemicals – including at least 60 that we know cause cancer.
There are approx. 19,000 smoking related deaths each year, and smoking tobacco is the largest single preventable cause of death and disease in Australia.
41% of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples smoke compared to 13% of the Australian population.
It’s time to make a Deadly Choice and quit. Contact your nearest Aboriginal Medical Service and ask about quit smoking programs, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, and other supports they can offer you.
Going smoke-free is a Deadly Choice – why?
- Tobacco smoking is the largest single preventable cause of death and disease in Australia.
- There are approx. 19,000 smoking related deaths each year.
- 47% of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples smoke, compared to 17% of the Australian population.
- Smoking is expensive. If you smoke 1 pack of cigarettes a day you’ll spend about $10,000 per year!
Benefits of quitting smoking
There are so many benefits to quitting smoking, including
- Decreased heart risks
- Thinner blood, meaning decreased risk of developing blood clots
- Lower cholesterol
- Regrowth of lung cilia, helping fight off infections such as colds
- Prevention of new DNA damage
- Return to normal white blood cell count
- Improvement in blood flow, allowing minerals, nutrients and oxygen to reach wounds more quickly to help them heal properly
- Stronger immune system, muscles, and bones
- Better vision
- Clean mouth
- Sharper hearing
- Clean skin.
There are so many myths about quitting smoking and Nicotine Replacement Therapy – how many have you heard?!
- Debunking myths – NRT doesn’t work (embedded video)
- Debunking myths – NRT gives you nightmares (embedded video)
- Debunking myths – NRT can’t be used by under 18s (embedded video)
- Debunking myths – NRT is expensive (embedded video)
- Debunking myths – NRT gives you a rash (embedded video)
- Tobacco fact sheet (PDF)
- Tips for quitting fact sheet (PDF)
- Smoking during pregnancy fact sheet (PDF)
- Chronic disease fact sheet (PDF)
- Deadly health tips (PDF)